Hey all! Who else is getting mighty excited about the upcoming long weekend? I think I am more excited than most because I literally just found out Monday was a holiday a couple days ago which is weird as I’m usually all over days off. Steve and I still aren’t too sure what we’re going to get up to but I would like to hike the Komoka conservation area and have a picnic.
I didn’t mention anything on here because I wanted to see how it would go but I recently started a different eating plan. I’m planning on trying carb back-loading (where you keep your carbs low all day and then eat them at night – I know it sounds totally opposite to most things you hear but if you can time your workouts correctly it helps with muscle gains while maintaining leanness). However you can’t just dive into this program so I’m on a pretty low carb plan right now that I have been following for the past 2 weeks. I am super proud to say that I have not deviated once (including on the weekend) and I feel great! My protein and fat intake is a little higher and I’m being sure to eat lots of healthy veggies throughout the day. I am doing this for a full month before I try carb back-loading only taking 1 high carb day off to keep my body guessing.
Keeping your carbs lower can be a challenge as most things that people think of as traditional snack food tend to be higher in carbs (especially sugar) so I’ve been being really creative with my eats to make sure I don’t get bored and stick to my plan. Creativity is key when you’re on a more strict meal plan.
So last week I posted a yummy looking picture of some delicious spinach dip on my instagram account (follow me @powerhousechels) which I am now ready to share the recipe for!
Anyways enough jibber jabber let’s get on to that recipe!
Adapted from Alton Brown
- 1 box frozen spinach (you can use fresh and simply saute or steam it)
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese (You can use more or less depending on how creamy you like it)
- 1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt (again if you want it creamier add more)
- 1/4 cup fat free parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder – I just eyeballed it because I love garlic
- Dash of salt
- Optional: 1/2 onion all caramelized and delicious, 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts
- Heat frozen spinach according to package (mine was like 6 minutes) or cook fresh spinach down
- Drain spinach and squeeze out excess water
- In a baking dish combine everything together and either microwave for 1-2 minutes or bake in oven for 15-20 minutes at 350°
Oh and if you’re wondering what that delicious looking thing is sticking out of my dip is – it’s a cheese crisp. I just took some cheddar cheese and cut it into inch by inch pieces, put it onto parchment paper and baked them for about 10 minutes in the oven and allowed them to cool. Super yummy low carb (albeit higher fat) snack.
Hope you guys enjoy!