It’s finally FRIDAY!!!! Hope everyone is excited for the weekend. I’m sure some people have some pretty fantastic mother’s day plans in the works. Steve and I are heading over to his mom’s house where we’ll be enjoying some delicious food together. Mary does so much for us and one day is definitely not enough to show our love and thanks for all she does.
Yesterday I went on a pretty fantastic bike ride. I’m trying to go out a few times a week to prep for my big ride. My knees are getting a bit sore after each ride still but not as bad. I’m going to re-fit my bike again and just keep up with my rehab/prehab exercises to keep everything fluid and mobile. I don’t naturally suffer from knee pain so it’s odd that low impact cycling has brought this on. Anyone have any tips?
I was riding the paths by our house (because I’m terrified to bike on the road – plus on the paths I listen to my iPod) and was riding next to the Thames river when out on the path in front of me dashed a snake! It stayed there for a few minutes and I dismounted and tried to snap a picture but he vanished behind the guard rail. He came back out after a couple minutes and this time I just played it cool and watched him. I kind of like snakes. Not saying that I want one as a pet but I find them to be really pretty and cool.
The snake I saw was an Eastern garter snake which looked like this:
I really enjoy all the things I get to see while on my bike: bunnies, snakes, gophers, and some really pretty wild birds.
Last night I couldn’t decide what to have for dinner but after poking around in the fridge for a bit I came up with something somewhat new for us – sausage stuffed peppers. Now we’ve had ground beef stuffed peppers but we had leftover Italian sausage and I figured why not.
These were really easy to throw together and super flavourful. I didn’t measure anything, usually don’t and just kinda tossed everything together in the pan and then stuffed the peppers.
Here’s how I made them:
- Heat oven to 375°
- Cut a small amount of the bottom off peppers (so they stand up properly and don’t topple over) and then hollow out the middle
- Drizzled peppers with olive oil and placed in oven while everything else was being prepared (I like my peppers fairly cooked which is why I put them in the oven while it’s preheating – if you prefer a crunchier pepper then just cut the bottoms off but don’t put them in the oven)
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat I sauteed an onion and some garlic until the onion was translucent. I also tossed in the leftover bits from the peppers
- Next I added in the sausage which I removed from it’s casing. We used pork sausage but turkey would be really yummy too (I used 4 sausages)
- I cooked this mixture until the sausage was cooked through
- While the sausage was cooking I cooked up 2 cups of brown rice in the microwave
- When the rice was done and the sausage was cooked I added the rice to the sausage mixture
- I then seasoned the mixture with some paprika, black pepper, and salt (didn’t measure)
- Lastly I stuffed the peppers, topped them with Parmesan cheese and put them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes
- I broiled them for the last 3 just to crisp up the cheese on top
I paired these up with some stuffed jalapeño peppers which I just filled with a mixture of fat free cream cheese and sharp cheddar. I baked these with the peppers right from the beginning so I’m not sure how long they were in there for.
There was leftover rice and sausage mixture as we used 4 sausages to stuff 3 peppers so we’ll be having that for lunch today. I like meals that create their own yummy leftovers.
Be sure to check out the burpee challenge I posted here
as well as the conditioning from my workout on Wednesday which you can see here.
POWERHOUSE VIDEO OF THE DAY: