So as I just mentioned in my previous post, having healthy things on hand will make it much easier to stick to your eating plan. Here are a couple of things I’ve been making that last me all week long and don’t take long to prepare.
Mini To-Go Egg ‘Muffins’
These are super simple to make and are a great quick on the go breakfast or mid day snack.
- 8 whole omega 3 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre cooked turkey Sausage (appx 1/2 lb)
- 2 green onions
- 2 oz cheddar cheese cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Beat the eggs and egg whites together with salt and pepper and pour into a greased muffin pan filling each cup appx 3/4 full (don’t use the muffin wrappers as the egg will just stick to them and make a mess)
- Mix the sausage, green onion, and cheddar together and evenly distribute over the 12 muffin pans .You don’t want to mix this all together with the eggs in the beginning because the ingredients will sink to the bottom and some of your muffins would have very little filling and some would have a lot.
- Bake in the oven for 13-17 minutes or until egg has set in the center
- Allow to cool and put them in a tupperware container (note that the muffins will fall a little when they cool)
Can easily be reheated in about 45 seconds in a microwave. You can also add whatever filling you’d like.
Mini Turkey Meatloafs
These are also made using a muffin pan and make the perfect snack sized meat loaf that can easily be packed up for lunch on the run.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until combined but do not over work
- Spray a non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray and divide the mixture among the cups
- Optional: Top each mini meatloaf with low cal BBQ sauce
- Bake in oven for 23-27 minutes or until thermometer reads 165°
- Carefully remove pan from oven – you need to be careful because there will be liquid in the bottom of the tins
- Remove mini meatloaf from tins and allow to cool before storing them in tupperware
These can be made with any combination of ground meat and you can also put whatever you want in the mixture. I happen to like salsa for the extra kick it gives and it doesn’t contain sugar like ketchup and most tomato sauces.