It’s summer, it’s hot, and sometimes we may want a cold treat to cool ourselves down. I don’t usually crave ice cream but sometimes it’s nice to have something creamy and cool and sweet. I wish that ice cream companies would make sugar free ice cream. There’s sugar reduced ice cream, which is usually also low fat, but no sugar free.
I get why ice cream companies do that, sugar-free and low-fat are words that appeal to people. No sugar added ice cream usually has upwards of 15g of sugar per serving because they use skim milk. Skim milk usually has 13g of sugar which makes skim milk mainly a carb source. Since I don’t tolerate carbs all that well being hypoglycemic I would much rather have full fat ice cream made with cream but sweetened with sucralose or stevia. Ah and I dream.
Anyways I digressed. Here is a delicious post workout frozen treat that will cool you down without adding to your waistline.
- 2 frozen bananas (I peel mine and cut them into small pieces and place them in ziploc bags or tupperware then into the freezer)
- Optional toppings/flavourings of choice
- Simply take the frozen bananas and puree in a blender. It’s easier to add just a few pieces at a time. If your blender seems to be struggling you can add a couple tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk.
- While you’re blending you could add in some unsweetened cocoa powder or natural peanut butter
- When you’re done pureeing all the banana and it’s nice and smooth I like to put it back in the freezer to re-harden.
- After letting the ice cream sit in the freezer for about 20 minutes it’s ready to eat or be topped with sugar free chocolate topping or fresh fruit.
- Now sit back and enjoy your ice cream treat guilt free!
For being made entirely of banana it doesn’t have the strong banana taste you’d expect so it’s really versatile in terms of adding flavours.