I have been trying to incorporate more fish into my diet lately. I love fish and seafood in general but did that thing where you eat it for almost every meal and then can’t stand the sight of it for a bit.
Well last week at Costco I decided to purchase some of their lovely looking rainbow trout. I usually just marinade or season my fish and put it in the oven but yesterday I was feeling something different.
Growing up my babushka (grandmother in Ukrainian) used to make the BEST pan fried fish. Not healthy but so yummy. I wanted to try to recreate the yummyness I knew growing up and whipped up some almond crusted rainbow trout in no time.
- 2 Rainbow Trout Fillets
- 2-3 TBS cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or preferred seasoning, I like mine simple)
- Salt & pepper
- Coconut oil
- Sprinkle salt & pepper over fillets
You’re going to set up a basic 3 part breading station (it is almost the same technique I used for my chicken fingers there is a good picture tutorial on breading here) On one small plate put your coconut flour down. Next in a shallow dish put your egg whites in. Finally mix your almond meal (flour) with the paprika or any seasonings you’d like to use. Now:
- Dredge the trout in the coconut flour
- Then pass it through the egg whites
- Finally coat it in the almond meal mixture
- Then melt your coconut oil in a skillet over med-high heat and add fish flipping after about 3-4 min per side depending on the size of your fillets
|Sorry the picture isn’t that great|
I had this with a really simple tomato and red onion salad with olive oil & red wine vinegar. It was deeeelish! I ate the second fillet for lunch today.